Chef Terrie’s path to Country Club Market
Terrie Kohl came to Des Moines as a food service food broker and then a national food service buyer. Terrie then took her next visionary step by attending The New England Culinary Institute in Essex Junction, Vermont, 1996. Chef Terrie interned at The Montauk Yacht Club in Montauk, Long Island, New York, Thyme & Again Catering and South Hampton Bath and Tennis Club in South Hampton, Long Island, New York. Her second internship brought her back home to Des Moines where she was employed at the Downtown Des Moines Marriott Hotel, Embassy Club Capital Square and Aramark/Pioneer Hi-Bred. She gained additional expertise as the Catering Chef at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa.
Terrie dreamed of starting her own business, and she established Country Club Market in 2003. From there, Country Club Market has filled a unique niche in central Iowa, offering culinary arts classes, customized catering, and a bakery that produces some of the tastiest treats in town.
Chef Terrie’s accolades have been featured on/in:
- Iowa Ingredient
- Great Day
- Des Moines Register
- MyWaukee Magazine
- Clive Living
- Meredith Culinary Pavillion doing a cooking demos for the World Food and Wine Festival.
Cookbook Author, published “Bringing Friends & Family Back Around the Table” in May 2019
Voted 1 of 40 in “The Iowa Restaurant Association’s 40 Women to Watch in the Hospitality Industry”, November 2019
In addition to the above, Country Club Market is also a member of:
- The Greater Des Moines Partnership/Catch Des Moines
- Clive Chamber of Commerce
Education and Honors
Chef Terrie is a graduate of New England Culinary Institute in Essex Junction, Vermont – a school which was voted the 2004 Vocational Cooking School of the Year by the Institute of Culinary Professionals. During her time at the Institute, Chef Terrie was the reciptient of these prestigious scholarships:
Les Dames d’Escoffier International Scholarship, Boston Chapter
The Educational Foundation of the National Restaurant Association Undergraduate Scholarship
James Beard Foundation Scholarship Finalist
- Chef Terrie’s passion for food extends to her collection of more than 4,500 cookbooks. She is especially fond of regional Junior League cookbooks, and those found on vacation destinations.
- Chef Terrie has a passion for judging food competition entries at the Iowa State Fair; she’s been a judge for the past 21 years.